Phone: +32 (0)9 264 39 26
Since 2000, Full Professor Theory and History of Urbanism at Ghent University, Department of Architecture and Urban Planning. Head of Department 2010-2014. Programme chair of the master of Science in Urbanism and Spatial Planning. Co-director of Labo S, urban design research lab.
Studied civil engineer-architect (KULeuven, 1975-80). Graduated Diplôme d’Etudes Approfondies at the Institut d’Urbanisme de Paris (IUP, 1981-82) and did his PhD at the Ecoles des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS, 1999) in Paris.
- landscape transformation and relationship between urbanism, landscape and heritage
- World War I, landscape and reconstruction
- analogous spaces and models in urban planning
- mass housing and the making of society
- urban and landscape representation
Scholarships and prizes
- Canadian Centre for Architecture, Study Centre, 2000
- Prize Geert Bekaert, 2000